60mm, 12mm blocking filter, 2" feather touch
- Factory Matched dual etalon system
- Use of unobstructed etalons.
- Infra-red deflecting window to eliminate unwanted heat.
- Optimized collimating system for true collimation, coma correction and off-axis reduction.
- Stylized pearl white paint with black anodized trim.
- Induced Transmission Filter for long term safety, durability and performance.
At its heart is the custom-made 60mm aperture precision aligned singlet lens. The focal length of the Lunt LS60 double-stacked solar telescope is 500mm, providing a ~4.5mm image through a 12mm blocking filter - far superior to a 6mm design. This model comes with the upgraded Starlight Instruments 2" Feather Touch Focuser with 10:1 reduction and 2.5" of travel.
As experienced solar observers know, it takes less than 1.0 angstrom to be able to see any detail and considerably less to see striking contrast - especially on the ever changing prominences. The reduction in band pass from an estimated 0.8 Angstroms to 0.5 Angstroms seems to bring the Sun's surface to incredible life, but getting those spectacular results by double stacking are more difficult than they sound. Both etalons need to be brought on line (tuned) and both need to be tilt able so that all ghosts are eliminated. Ideally the transmission curves should overlap perfectly when on band to provide for the best possible resolution and contrast. These hurdles can be overcome by matching the etalons at the factory.